Sunday, February 18, 2007

Don't Expect Too Much In Your First Week

I am a perfectionist. I am conscious and I have high expectations for a lot of things. I've only realised that after the 1st week of school. How do I know this? Well, let me just tell you my side of the story.

It's been 1 week. As I have said in my earlier post, I have been with the group of friends I have made on my first day. However, there's more than that. I may be hanging out with them but I may not be included in their conversations. I am usually the one who listens to their conversations than contribute to the conversations. I do feel lonely and left out. I always think to myself: Am I boring? I must be because they're not talking to me as much as other people. You know, things like that. Also, I try to sit with my friends. If I can't, I tell myself: They don't like you as much as other people. It's so difficult for me to be in this situation so I told Mum about this. As I said earlier, she told me I was a perfectionist and I expect too much. "Son, it's only the first week! Of course they don't hang out with you much. You're new. You can't expect so much from them. You know, you have high expectations for many things! You must be thick skin. If you find yourself sitting alone, do it! " Mum said.

After that talk, I did some soul searching. Yes, it's only been 1 week. They don't know much about you yet! Go to school with an open mind. Be happy! If not, try to introduce yourself to people.... Yes, that's what I'll do...!!!

Has anyone of you been in the same shoes as me?

I did some soul search

No comments: