Thursday, February 8, 2007

First Day In A New School With New People

I woke up at 7:50 am. It was extremely cold at that time. So, I decided to put on my jumper over my uniform. I looked through my bag for the last time so as to not forget to bring any books. Wouldn't want to give a bad impression! After that, I put on my black shoes and left the house.

Dad walked along with me to school as this was my first time. At the school crossing, he dropped me off and we said our good-byes (There wasn't any crying!). I walked towards the college entrance not knowing what was in store for me...

I was expected to meet a teacher when I reached the school. He would give me my new time-table for the first semester. When I received my time-table, he told me to wait outside the school office so that a teacher could show me to my first class. While waiting, a new student came up to me and started talking to me. She said she came from Queensland and just moved here recently. We chatted for a while before the teacher, Mrs Brookes told us that we were going to our classes now. At this point, I was getting really nervous!

First to be introduced was my new and first friend here in Glen Waverley Secondary College. Sadly, she wasn't in the same class as me. Her first period was Health and P.E. Mine was Health Education. It started out like this...

Mrs Brookes : Miss Dunsier, may I have a moment please?

Miss Dunsier : Yeah, sure... Go ahead!

Mrs Brookes : Thanks. Class, we have a new student here. He's called Nicholas. I hope you will make him feel welcome here. (Whispers to me) What's your next class?

Me : Info Processing.

Mrs Brookes : Anyone here doing info processing later?

A few hands were raised.

Mrs Brookes : Okay, I want you to show Nicholas around and where his next class is...

One of the students who raised up their hands : Sure.. You can follow us, Nic. We guide you...

Me : Thanks! Appreciate it...

After that, I sat in one seat and took out my stuff. I looked around me for a while (While I was listening to the teacher too!). 50% of the class were Indians, 40% of the class were Chinese and 10% of the class were Aussies! "Wow" I thought. I feel more at home now...

After Health Education, I went to Info Processing class with my new "tour guides". They were Wilson and Louyi. They were really nice people and even introduced me to their friends and their friends, etc... So it was really hard to remember. I was really thankful to God for giving me such wonderful friends. They showed me around the school whole-heartedly. Altogether, I made about 20+ friends in a single day! From this, I can tell, Australians are extremely friendly and sociable...

After Info Processing class, it was time for recess. We didn't buy anything to eat, but just chatted... Then, it was back to studies...

Maths was the next subject and we had a great teacher. Funny, a little strict and easy going. He even made jokes like "I may not be able to spell some of these words correctly. Hey, you can't be that good-looking and smart at the same time, right? Every guy has his weakness!" I enjoyed his lesson, except the part where he gave us homework... Sigh...

Lunch time! I bought chicken kebabs for $2! Wow, that's expensive. Worse, that was the cheapest thing on the menu. No one packs for lunch, so that means they either buy from the canteen or they don't eat at all... Poor people...

English. I hated the English teacher. There was a book which I couldn't buy because it was out of stock. I mean, I just came here a week ago. Then, that teacher scolded me for not bringing the book and even asking me to come up with solutions to how I would have the book. Come on! Give me a break. I'm new here and you just scold me for something I can't even do anything about. Anyway, one of my friends decided to share one with me. Finally, she stopped with her nagging. Wilson whispered to me "Screw her!"

Next class was Humanities. We were suppose to practice how to do a resume if you decide to take a part-time job. We practiced typing our resumes on the computer which took us 30 minutes. It was filled with packs of laughter as some of their personal details were a little interesting (and funny at the same time!).

The final bell rung. Time to go home! All my friends said bye to everyone, including me. I went to my locker and took my bag. Off I went...

To summarise the whole thing:

I really enjoyed school there. At first I was skeptical that I would make many friends here but it turned out wrong. God really helped me through this day and I pray that every day would be as good as this. If only I started school here earlier...

P.S: Told you it would be a long one!

6 comments:

choyban said...

That is so unkind of the English teacher! Does she know you are new? Maybe she nags to live! Well maybe she is nice...give her a chance...

Oh I am surprised with the figures. One would have thought you are attending an international school!

And you woke up at 7:50am? Hehe...that's nice. I remember having to wake up at 6am for morning sessions!

nanie said...

What's your schooling hours like?

Yeah it sure sounds like an international school!

And I like your Math teacher. He sounds to humourous.

nicnic93 said...

Actually, it's a normal public school. Somehow, it attracted many Asians. Also, the school's capable of producing top students. This encourages the migrants to come here and study, like me.

School starts at 9 in the morning, and ends at 3:15pm.

Yah, I like him too.. He's a funny guy.

Didn't think you guys would actually read the whole thing..

Keke... Should I write more long posts?

*++Hyper-Active-Gal++* said...

yes you should nic...
btw, i heard that australians, americans etc... do not need to carry their bag with them, only the books?

nicnic93 said...

That's true. They leave their bags in the locker and bring the necessary books with them..

We don't have a standard class which we sit on our desks and wait for the teacher to come. After each class, we would take our books and walk to our next class, not like Singapore...

nanie said...

walking to a new class each time - sounds like the junior college system. When I went to Anderson Junior College, I found it very different from secondary school. We had to go to different classes for different subjects.