Friday, January 26, 2007

My First Fishing Trip

The journey started at 8:45 am. Debbie and I sat at the back of the car and the parents, in front. We were going fishing for trout at a place called Ballarat. For all of you out there, you may not know what it is, but it's extremely far away from where we're living. Ballarat is a beautiful place. It's just like any countryside, only that you don't see many cowboys riding horses shouting "Yeehah!". However, we did see a lot of farm animals along the way there. There were sheep, horses, cows, etc. The car ride took 3 hrs! You can believe how restless and bored we were in the car. What's worse, the weather wasn't as cooling as we thought it would be.

Finally, early in the afternoon, we reached our destination. We were told that it was $28 per person. We paid them, took the fishing rods and nets, took our bait (corn!) and we were off to the pond. The boss came out and taught us how to use the rod as it was our first time fishing. He seemed like an expert! At first, he taught Dad, then he taught us one by one. Debbie was the first one to reel a fish in, followed by Mum, then me. Mum's trout was huge. Hers was the biggest one yet compared to what we caught. All in all, Debbie caught 5 fish, Mum caught 2 and I caught 3. Not bad for a beginner!

This is the interesting part. They were going to cook the trout for us on the spot. It was going to be our lunch! Seems like all our hardwork were paid off, immediately! The trout was delicious. I ate it ASAP once it touched my fork and knife. We also had bread, salad, potato with butter topping and potato wedges. Mmmmm....... Delicious!!!

During dinner, we overheard the boss of that place talking to a guy about feeding the sheep milk. Subsequently, we enquired if we could feed it as well. He was extremely fine with the idea and gave us the bottle of warm milk. Surprisingly, it came as a wine bottle with a nozzle on top. After dinner, we went to feed the sheep, Arista!

Upon reaching there, Arista did not make us feel welcomed. When a person got near him, he ran away. However, once he saw the bottle of milk in Debbie's hands, he went towards her and sucked on the nozzle. I patted him as he was being fed. It was the first time I ever got close to a sheep! Within minutes, the bottle of milk became empty. Then, it walked away, without even a thank you! Wait, he did. He left us a pile of droppings while we were going out... Hehe...



Alas, it was time to go back home. It was another tiring, boring 3 hr drive back home. However, it was worth it as I had so much fun. Also, it was my first fishing trip and I'll never forget it...really...

8 comments:

Anthony Choo said...

Hey, how come no mention of me? I caught 2 trouts and spent most of my time either taking pictures or helping the rest get the hook out of the trouts. Yes, everyone went "ahhh, ahhh, I caught a trout. What should I do...?" What would they do without me?

Also, I was the one driving (6 hrs in one day) but didn't complain. I guess it was more fun driving.

Oh yes, the weather wasn't that kind. My right arm is now darker than my left.

Anyone watched the Australian Open? This is my first time watching all the single players play and I am now a big fan of Gonzalez. Federer is also very good but I hope Gonzalez wins on Sunday. Maybe because Liverpool has a Chilean player, Mark Gonzalez. :)

*++Hyper-Active-Gal++* said...

haha! very funny...hey nic, the senary there is damn nice!

choyban said...

Oh so much fun! Keke...I was also thinking to myself...oh why no mention of wysiwis catching any trout? Keke...none? :p Keke...nicnic93 has a lot of answering to do....

Wa...the fish lunch must be very nice...so fresh!

Is Arista smelly? Sheep are very adorable but I find them smelly. :p

choyban said...

I am a fan of Federer. Hehe...bcoz he is swiss.

nicnic93 said...

I am also a big fan of Federer, but not bcos he is Swiss. He plays good and fair. In fact, he was the one who caught my interest in tennis since I came here...hehe

I agree with you, hyper-active-gal. The scenery there was nice.

Actually, I was unaware that my father caught 2 fish. Too busy catching my own..Keke..:)

nanie said...

Wah sounds so fun leh... I long to visit u guys in melbourne next time.

Anthony >> no way! I'm rooting for Federer to win the Australian Open. As someone said, when Federer holds a racket in his hands, it is transformed into a magic wand. What an apt description.

nicnic93 said...

I didn't know there were so many tennis fans here!

wysisis> It's 3 against 1. Federer rulez!!

*++Hyper-Active-Gal++* said...

hey, wad about me? i havent comment yet!
hehe